Thursday, July 16, 2015

Why you shouldn't call me "doctor"

Dear readers,

Go over the horizon!
My name is Doctor Egg. Well, to tell the truth, this is my nickname. It's not essential to know my real name now. Yet, it is of capital importance for you to know one thing: in spite of my nickname, I am not a doctor. So please, don't call me doctor. In some European countries it's enough to obtain a university degree (any degree) to be called "doctor", and many people enjoy that. I don't.
I know a guy who got a degree at the faculty of agriculture and was so eager to show it off that he displayed the title "doctor" before his name on the label of his intercom. In the middle of the night, he heard it buzzing, he lifted the receiver up and heard the desperate words "doc, please help me!". It was a local junkie seeking for help after an overdose. The self-declared doctor sent him to hell and hung up. The day after, he removed the unfortunate label.
You may ask yourself why my nickname is Doctor Egg, if I don't like to be called doctor. Well, the origin of the name has distant roots. When I was a teenager I intended to boil an egg but I forgot to add water on the small pot, almost causing the kitchen to explode. Kids can be absentminded sometime.
Another thing you should know about me is that I live in a Mediterranean island and English is not my mother language, so please excuse my mistakes and unorthodox syntax.
Last but not least, a couple of words regarding the contents of this blog. It contains articles on healthy lifestyles (but keep in mind that I am not a doctor! Or have I already told you that?), unconventional thinking, critical reflection. And many more things that will pop out of my head. Enjoy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment